Clothing items and toiletries are distributed to homeless individuals every Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. at the basement entrance to St. Malachi Church. Clothing and small household goods are distributed to local families in need on the third Saturday of every month. An appointment required. Please call 216-771-3036
The Clothing Ministry can accept clothing donations such as seasonal streetwear/ outerwear clothing, underwear, sweatshirts, shirts, socks, belts, streetwear shoes and seasonal boots, hats and gloves.
All clothing donations must be:
- Seasonal. We do not have the capacity to store out-of-season items, no matter how good or in-demand they will be when the season changes
- New or gently used.
- In good repair (no tears, missing buttons or zippers, open seams, etc.)
- Neatly folded or in original bag.
- Guiding principle: if you would not wear it, do not donate it. This applies especially to out-of-style clothing, especially any business or dress clothing
The St. Malachi Clothing Ministry CANNOT accept or use:
- Non-seasonal clothing
- Clothing not in good repair.
- Leftovers from garage sales, rummage or estate sales.
- The Clothing Ministry reserves the right to limit clothing donations from the family of a person who has recently died.
- Sports equipment, televisions, computers or computer accessories, furniture, car seats, strollers.
- Broken, non-working items.
- Clothing donations are accepted Monday through Saturday between 8:30 am and 3:00 pm and before or after one of the weekend Masses at one of the two basement entrances on north side of St. Malachi Church (parking lot area). Donations on other days and times are by way of exception and must be scheduled in advance with the church office.
- The Clothing Ministry can also accept some linens, towels, dishes, cups, glasses, cutlery, small, clean kitchen appliances (in working order with all necessary parts included), clean, washable toys (with all parts included), small electronics and hygiene items for the Malachi Center Shower Program.
- Ordinarily, the Clothing Ministry can accept a maximum of 6 bags or boxes of clothes per donation source. Exceptions to this policy will be made on a case-by-case basis and require advanced arrangement with the church.
- The Clothing Ministry receives a great many donations between mid-November (Thanksgiving) through December (Christmas and New Year). It would be helpful to donate winter clothing outside of this holiday period if at all possible.
- All donated clothing is given away by St. Malachi Church or Malachi Center; it is never re-sold. Any excess clothing is re-distributed to other charitable organizations which distribute clothing to people in need. Note: about 75% of the demand is for adult men’s clothing; the rest for women and children. Most clothing demand is for work and everyday clothing; there is relatively little demand for business or dress clothing.
A donation form can be obtained for income tax purposes. The Clothing Ministry does not and cannot assign a monetary value for the donation; this is the donor’s responsibility.
Questions can be directed to:
Jeanette Shemo 216-861-5343
Shauna Player-Burkes 216-771-3036
Pat Daw 216-338-5260
Malachi Center assists families during Thanksgiving and Christmas with food and gifts as available. We also offer opportunities for volunteers, youth and families to be engaged in service projects and holiday activities.
See Youth Programs to find services we provide to young people.